About This Class
What You Learn
- About pests and diseases
- How to manage your hive and extract the good stuff
- How to get started with backyard beekeeping
What You Get
- Practical experience up close to the hive (protective suits provided)
- Plain language instruction on how and where to get a hive
- Detailed notes for the class....plus a super yummy arvo tea!
This class provides you with a hands on learning experience with bees while being guided by an expert in back yard bees. Josh will teach you everything you need to know to be making honey by the Litre!
This class includes both theory and practice which allows you to put a suit on and open up a hive! Josh will also show you the bees and the make up of the hive and colony.
The class covers all aspects of setting up and managing a bee colony in your own backyard. This is a fantastic class especially if you are new to bees because we take you through the husbandry, safety, honey extraction, hive selection, swarm and queen selection!
The aim is for participants to gain a basic knowledge of honeybees and the methods of keeping them in a backyard environment.
We will provide you with the protective gear to wear for the class! However if you wish to bring your won suit, it must be brand new for hive hygiene purposes. Please be sure to wear closed shoes that come to ankle height or thick socks.
Some things you will learn:
- Honey bee biology and behaviour
- Equipment for starting up a beehive we will demonstrate the different sorts of hives people are using
- Regulations and location placement
- Hygiene, diseases and prevention
- Swarm capture, cut-outs and splits
- Honey extraction
- And lots, lots more.
You'll be making your own honey in know time! So many of our participants have gone on to get their hive set up. If you've ever been curious about beekeeping, this is the class for you!
What To Bring
- Please wear closed shoes that are at least ankle height or thick socks.
- You will need to bring loose clothing and advise us of any allergies prior to the class (especially allergies to bees!)
What To Wear
- Casual loose fitting clothes
- Anyone interested in beekeeping
About Josh Keating
Josh Keating is a hobbyist with interests in technology (Hamilton Hackerspace, 3D printing, electronics, drones/RC, fabrications, etc) and Beekeeping, among many others. He took up beekeeping in 2015 and in that time has built up to 5 hives (2 home built Top-Bar hives first, then 2 Langstroth), and has experience working with the Flow-Hive with other beekeepers. He built up his initial experience with a local mentor, with additional research online and in books, and with a lot of on-the-job learning with cut-outs (removals from standing structures – walls, trees, chimneys, etc.) and swarm captures. Josh has an open mind and believes there are many ways people can keep bees, but with sound fundamentals in mind.
Lutheran Church Hall, Hamilton Hwy, Tarrington VIC 3301, Australia
VIEW ON GOOGLE MAPS